Social Science : Civics : Chapter 6 : Road Safety
I. Answer the following
1. What are the benefits of wearing helmet while driving?
- It helps to reduce traffic accidents.
- It also help us to protect our body from accident injuries.
2. List out the factors of road accidents.
- Drunk and drive.
- Distractions to drive.
- Red light jumping.
- Over taking in a wrong manner.
3. Which colour in the signal mean ‘stop’?
4. List out any three road safety rules.
- Follow the traffic rules.
- Don’t consume liquor and drive.
- Avoid rash driving.
5. What are the direct consequences of accidents?
- Fatality (death)
- Damage to property
6. Mention the preventive measures for accidents.
- Education and awareness about road safety.
- Strict enforcement of law.
- Engineering – i) vehicle design and ii) road infrastructure.
II. Answer in paragraph
1. Write the factors involved in road accidents.
Over speeding, rash driving, violation of rules, failure to understand signs and alcohol.
Carelessness, illiterary, crossing the road at wrong places, jaywalkers.
Projecting their body parts outside vehicles, vehicles from the wrong side, travelling on foot boards, catching a running bus, etc.
Failure of breakes or steering, tyre burst, insufficient headlights, overloading.
Road conditions :
Potholes, damaged roads, eroded roads merging or rural roads with highway And illiegal speed breakers.
Weather conditions :
Food, snow, heavy rainfall, wind storms, hail storms.
2. Explain in detail: The road safety rules.
It is important to know about safety rules and regulations to avoid accidents. Here, a few basic road safety rules are given.
- Know the traffic signals.
- Stop, Look and Cross the road.
- Pay attention – Listen.
- Don’t run on roads.
- Always use side walks.
- Never stick hands outside the vehicle.
- Never cross road at bends.
- Don’t rush.
- Keep left.
- Crossing at zebra line