Social Science : Civics : Chapter 5 : India’s International Relations
I. Choose the Correct Answer:
1. Mc Mahon Line is a border between
- Burma and India
- India and Nepal
- India and China
- India and Bhutan
Ans : India and China
2. India is not a member of which of the following
|1) G20||2) ASEAN||3) SAARC||4) BRICS|
- 2 only
- 2 and 4
- 2, 4 and 1
- 1, 2 and 3
Ans : 2 only
3. OPEC is
- An international insurance Co.
- An international sports club
- An Organisation of Oil Exporting Countries
- An international company
Ans : An Organisation of Oil Exporting Countries
4. With which country does India share its longest land border?
Ans : Bangladesh
5. Match the following and choose the correct answer form the codes given below.
|i) Salma Dam||1. Bangladesh|
|ii) Farakka accord||2. Nepal|
|iii) Chukha hydroelectric project||3. Afghanistan|
|iv) Sharda River project||4. Bhutan|
- 3 1 4 2
- 3 1 2 4
- 3 4 1 2
- 4 3 2 1
Ans : 3, 1, 4, 2
6. How many countries share its border with India?
Ans : 7
7. Which two island countries are India’s neighbours?
- a) Sri Lanka and Andaman island
- Maldieves and Lakshadweep island
- Maldieves and Nicobar island
- Sri Lanka and Maldieves
Ans : Sri Lanka and Maldieves
8. Which Indian state is surrounded by three countries?
- Arunachal Pradesh
Ans : Arunachal Pradesh
9. How many Indian states have their boundary with Nepal?
Ans : a) Five
10. Who drew up the borders for independent Pakistan?
- Lord Mountbatten
- Sir Cyril Radcliffe
- Clement Atlee
- None of the above.
Ans : Sir Cyril Radcliffe
II. Fill in the blanks:
1. _______ is a small Himalayan kingdom.
Ans : Bhutan
2. India’s gateway to South East Asia is _______.
Ans : Myanmar
3. _______ is a buffer country between India and China.
Ans : Nepal
4. A strip of land _______, belongs to India on West Bengal and Bangladesh border.
Ans : Teen Bigha Corrider
5. _______ is known as the Land of thunderbolt.
Ans : Bhutan
6. India and Sri Lanka are separated by _______.
Ans : Palk Strait
III. Consider the following statement and tick the appropriate answer:
1. The Kaladan transport project by India and Myanmar consists of which of the following modes of transport?
|1. Roads||2. Railways|
|3. Shipping||4. Inland water transport|
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
- 1, 2 and 3 only
- 1, 3 and 4 only
- 2, 3 and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4
Ans : 1, 3 and 4 only
2. Assertion (A) : India and France launched International Solar Alliance.
Reason (R) : It was done to bring together countries between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn for co-operation of solar energy.
- A is correct and R is the correct explanation of A
- A is correct and R is not the correct explanation of A
- A is wrong and R is correct
- Both are wrong
Ans : A is correct and R is the correct explanation of A
3. Which of the following statements are true?
Statement 1: ICCR has initiated a Tagore Chair in University of Dhaka.
Statement 2: Mayanmar is India’s gateway to western countries.
Statement 3: Nepal and Bhutan are land locked nations.
Statement 4: Sri Lanka is one of the partner in Nalanda University Project of India.
a) 1, 2 and 3 b) 2, 3 and 4
c) 1, 3 and 4 d) 1, 2 and 4
Ans : 1, 3 and 4
4. Assertion (A) : OPEC has vested interest in India’s economic growth.
Reason (R) : Devoid of necessary oil resources India strongly focuses on agriculture and industrial production.
- A is correct and R explains A
- A is wrong and R is correct
- Both are correct
- Both are wrong
Ans : A is correct and R explains A
IV. Match the following:
|3. Shinkansen system||Shanghai|
|5. OPEC||Garment city in Vishakapatnam|
Ans : 1 – E, 2 – D, 3 – B, 4 – C, 5 – A
V. Answer the following in brief:
1. Name the neighbouring countries of India.
- Sri Lanka
2. Write a short note on Strategic partnership Agreement (SPA)
- Indo – Afghan relation was strengthened by the strategic partnership Agreement.
- It provides assistance to rebuild Afghan’s infrastructure, institutions, agriculture, water, education, health and providing duty free access to the Indian market.
3. Mention the member countries of BRICS.
- South Africa
4, What do you know about Kaladan Multi Model Transit Transport?
- Myanmar is India’s gateway to south East Asia
- India is building the Kaladan — Multi – Mode Transit Transport. It is a road – river
- port cargo transport project to link Kolkata to Sittwe in Myanmar.
5. How do you assess the importance of Chabahar agreement?
- The trilateral agreement was signed between India, Afghanistan and Iran.
- It has led to the establishment of transit and transport corridor among three countries using e Chabahar port.
- This port is seen as golden gateway for India to access landlocked markets of Afghanistan and Central Asia bypassing Pakistan.
6. List out any five global grouping in which India is a member.
7. What is the role of Japan India Institute of Manufacturing (JIM)?
- In the manufacturing sector Japan announced its co — operation of training 30,000 people in the Japan India Institute of Manufacturing
- It provides Japanese style of manufacturing skills to enhance India’s manufacturing industry base and contribute to ‘Make in India’ and ‘Skill India’ initiatives.
VI. Answer in detail
1. Highlight India and International organisation with special reference to any three India’s global groupings.
|IBSA||India, Brazil, South Africa||To focus on agriculture, education, energy, trade, culture and defence among others|
|BCIM||Bangladesh, China, India, Myanmar||To respond to threats such as natural disasters and data breaches and protect business interests|
|MGC (Mekong Ganga cooperation)||India, Cambodia, Laos PDR Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam||To create necessary infrastructural facilities in the Ganga-Mekong basin|
|EAS (East Asia Summit)||10 ASEAN nations + 8 strategic partners including US, China, India, Japan||To promote peace and stability|
|GCC – Gulf Cooperation Council||Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, India||To achieve unity based on their common objectives and their similar political and cultural identities|
|BBIN||Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal||For energy development|
|SCO (Shanghai cooperation organization)||India, Kazakhstan, China, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan||For security-related concerns, resolving border issues, intelligence sharing and countering terrorism|
2. Trace the reason for the formation of BRICS and write its objectives
- To be an alternative to World Bank and to challenge U.S. supremacy.
- To provide self – owned and self managed organisations to carryout developmental and economical plan in its member nations.
- To achieve regional development.
- It acts as a bridge between developed and developing countries.
- To contribute to the development of humanity.
- To establish a more equitable and fair world.
- Boost intra BRICS trade in their local currencies to increase trade co operation and cope with the current international financial crisis.
- To promote the technological information exchange among the member states.
- To enhance inclusive economic growth and the creation of jobs, fight against poverty and accelerate the economic transformation of members.
3. Mention OPEC missions and how does it help other countries.
- It is a group of oil producing nations (i.e. Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia).
- Its membership is open to any country that exports crude oil.
- To co-ordinate oil policies in its member countries.
- Help stabilise oil markets.
- To secure fair and stable income to petroleum producers.
- An efficient , economic and regular supply of oil to consuming nations.
- A fair return on capital to the investors of the petroleum industry.
Help other countries
- It helps finance projects with low interests loans.
- It provides grants to social and humanitarian projects.
- It has an Information centre with over 20,000 volumes including books, reports map and conference proceedings related to petroleum, energy and the oil market.
- It is open to the public and for the researchers and students.