Science : Term 1 Unit 5 : The Living World of Animals
I. Choose the correct answer:
1. The study of living things or organisms is called
Ans : Biology
2. Which of the following are characteristics of living beings?
|(i) Respiration||(ii) Reproduction|
|(iii) Adaptation||(iv) Excretion|
Choose the correct sequence
- (i), (ii), and (iv) only
- (i), (ii) only
- (ii) and (iv)only
- (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv)
Ans : (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv)
3. Lizards breathe through their _____________
Ans : Lungs
4. All animals need _____________
- Food and water only
- Water only
- Air, food and water
- Food only
Ans : Air, food and water
5. Which animal has the special organs of breathing called gills?
Ans : Fish
6. Choose the set that represents only biotic components of a habitat
- Tiger, Deer, Grass, Soil
- Rocks, Soil, Plants, Air
- Sand, Turtle, Crab, Rocks
- Aquatic plant, Fish, Frog, Insects
Ans : Aquatic plant, Fish, Frog, Insects
7. Which of the following cannot be called as a habitat?
- A desert with camels
- A pond with fish and snails
- Cultivated land with grazing cattle
- A jungle with wild animals
Ans : Cultivated land with grazing cattle
8. Birds fly in the air with the help of _____________
- heavy and strong Bones
- Soft and thick Bones
- Hollow and light Bones
- Flat and thick Bones
Ans : Hollow and light Bones
9. Paramecium moves from one place to other with the help of _____________
Ans : Cilia
10. Kangaroo rat lives in _____________
- Aquatic habitat
- Desert habitat
- Grass land habitat
- Mountain habitat
Ans : Desert habitat
II. Multiple choice questions
Complete the following with appropriate word(s).
1. Aquatic, deserts, mountains are called _____________
Ans : habitats
2. Based on the number of cells present animals are classified into _____________ and _____________
Ans : unicellular and multicellular
3. Tail of a bird acts as a rudder which helps to _____________
Ans : control the direction of the movements
4. Amoeba moves with the help of _____________
Ans : Pseudopodia (false foot)
III. True or False, If False give the correct answer.
1. Habitat is a living or dwelling place of organism.
Ans : True
2. The geographical features and environmental conditions on earth remain same from one place to other.
Ans : False
Cu. An : The geographical features and environmental conditions on earth differ from one place to other.
3. Amoeba is a unicellular organism and moves with pseudopodia.
Ans : True
4. Birds can see only one object at a time.
Ans : False
Cu. An : Birds can see two objects at a time. (Binocular vision)
5. Paramoecium is a multicelluar organism
Ans : False
Cu. An : Paramecium is a unicellular organism.
IV. Complete the following
1. Tropical rain forests, grasslands and desserts are known as ________
Ans : Habiatats
2. Some living things are made of a single cell, they are called ________organism .
Ans : unicellular
3. The breathing organ of a fish is known as _______
Ans : gills
4. The lizard _______ on the ground with its claw on its feet.
Ans : moves
5. Camel stores ________ in its hump.
Ans : fat
V. Very short answer questions.
1. How do the birds catch their prey?
The birds catch their prey with the help of a pair of clawed feet.
2. Where can we see Camels iii India?
We can see Camels in Rajasthan.
3. Name the locomotory organs of an Amoeba.
The locomotory organs of an Amoeba is pseudopodia.
4. What are the body parts of a snake?
Head, eyes, nostrils, mouth, belly, tail.
5. Which structure helps the bird to change its direction while flying in air?
The tail of the bird helps ii to change the direction while flying in air.
VI. Short answer type questions.
1. Differentiate between Unicellular and Multicellular organisms.
|Unicellular Organisms||Multicellular organisms|
|1. They are made up of single cell.||They are organisms are made up of many cells.|
|2. The single cell of the organism can perform all the functions of life.||Division of labour exists among cells. Different cells are specialized to perform different functions.|
|3. These organisms are generally very small (microscopic) in size.||They are mostly large in size.|
|4. They lack tissues, organs and organ systems.||They are composed of tissues, organs and organ systems.|
|5. Growth occurs by an increase in the size of the cell.||Growth occurs by an increase in the number of cells by cell division.|
|eg. Amoeba, Paramecium and Euglena.||eg. Earthworms, Fish, Frogs, Lizard and human beings|
2. Write the adaptive features of Polar bear an d Penguin.
|Name of animal||Habitat||Adaptive features|
|1. Polar bear||Polar region||Thick skin for protection, white fur|
|2. Penguin||Polar region||Paddle to swim, walk with two legs.|
3. Mention the feature that helps a bird to fly in the air?
- Birds have streamlined body covered with feathers.
- The body shape provides maximum resistance to air.
- They have a pair of wings that are modified forelimbs.
- They have hollow and light bones.
- They have strong chest muscles which help them withstand the pressure of the air while flapping their wings dung flight.
4. What are the different types of invertebrates?
- Sponges (Porifera)
- Comb jellies (Ctenophora)
- Hydras, jellyfishes, sea anemones, and corals (Cnidaria)
- Starfishes, sea urchins, sea cucumbers (Echinodermata)
- Flatworms (Platyhelminthes)
- Round or threadworms (Nematoda)
- Earthworms and leeches (Annelida)
- Insects and arachnids (Arthropoda)
- Snails and octopuses (Mollusca)
VII. Answer in detail
1. Describe the various features which help Camel dwell well in the desert.
- The camel has long legs which help it to keep its body away from the hot sand in the desert.
- A camel can drink large amount of water (when it is available) and store it in the body.
- A camel’s body is adapted to save water in the dry desert as follows: A Camel passes small amount of urine; its dung is dry and it does not sweat. Since a camel loses very little water from its body, it can live for many days without drinking water.
- A camel’s hump has fat stored in it. In case of emergency a camel can break down stored fat for nourshment.
- A camel has large and flat padded feet which help it to walk easily on soft sand. Thus it is called “The ship of the desert”.
- Camel has long eye lashes and hairs to protect its eyes and ears from the blowing dust.
- It can keep its nostrils closed to avoid dust.