English : Unit 6 : Supplementary : Homeless Man and his Friends: A true story
boomerang (n) – come back to the person who threw it
medication (n) – form of medicine that is used to treat
incredible (adj) – unbelievable
anticipating (v) – expecting
A. Comprehension Questions
1. What is the name of the hero of this story?
Answer: The name of the hero of this story is Cesar.
2. Where did this story happen?
Answer: This story happened on the street in Rio do Sul in South Brazil.
3. When was he admitted in the hospital?
Answer: Cesar was admitted at the emergency room of the hospital at about 3 a.m.
4. Where is the hospital?
Answer: The hospital is in Rio do Sul, in South Brazil.
5. Who accompanied him to the hospital?
Answer: A gang of dogs accompanied him to the hospital.
B. Write the answers for the following questions in 100 words.
1. Where did the nurse post this story?
Answer: The nurse posted the story on Facebook.
2. What did Cesar do when he was offered food by the nurses?
Answer: When Cesar was offered food by the nurses, he ate some and saved a bit to give the dogs later. Though Cesar was a homeless man in Rio do Sul in South Brazil, he often sacrificed his own food to feed the stray dogs around him. When he suddenly required emergency treatment, his kindness came back to him like a boomerang, for the faithful dogs he had been feeding made sure he was not alone.
3. How many dogs accompanied him when he left the hospital?
Answer: Four dogs accompanied him when he left the hospital.
4. How many people followed Mamprim’s post?
Answer: 1,36,000 people followed Mamprim’s post.
C. Can you guess the meaning of following words after understanding the story?
homeless : without any house or people to care
boomerang : come back to the person who threw it
canine : dog – due to its teeth it is named so
stray : dogs found in the streets without owners
health facility : health care
colleague : co-worker
accompany : go along with
trailing : following
wagging : moving the tail swiftly
reciprocal : in return
possession : own
mistreatment : ill treatment, wrong behaviour
Step to Success, Connecting to Self
Step to Success
Coding – Decoding
Number the alphabet according to their position to decode the following.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
1. In a certain code language, if BUG = 30 and ALMS = 45 then CADET =?
[Answer: (c) 33]
2. In a certain code language, if INFER = 25 and JERSEY = 28, then CHOICE =?
[Answer: (b) 34]
3. In a certain code language, EGG is 577 and ICE is 935 then what is 8945?
[Answer: (a) HIDE]
4. In a certain code language, YSMIR is TNHDM and VPJHN is QKECI then GKTZO is ______?
[Answer: (b) BFOU]
Connecting to Self
Tick the boxes that you have done and check yourself whether you are a good friend.
If you tick two or less pink / two or more blue you should improve yourself as a better friend.
GRAMMAR – DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH
To Enable the students to familiarize and practise direct and indirect speech.
1.Access the application with the help of the link given below or the given QR code and install it in the mobile.
2. You can view Assertive or Declarative as unlocked in home page and click that.
3. Click Begin the Test 50/50 button in the next screen to do exercises.
4. Select the answer for the given question one by one by clicking arrows. You can view the results as well as explanation for the answer.
5. Complete all the 50 questions and check your answers.
Click the following link or scan the QR code to access the website.
** Images are indicative only