Social Science : Geography : Term 3 Unit 3 : Understanding Disaster
I Answer in brief
1. Define Disaster.
- A disaster is a serious disruption of the functioning of a society involving human and material loss.
- Disaster is broadly classified into natural and man-made disasters.
2. What were the subjects taught at Nalanda University?
- Vedic literature
3. Write a short note on ‘Thunder and lightning’.
- Thunder is a series of sudden electrical discharge resulting from atmospheric conditions.
- This discharge results in sudden flashes of light and trembling sound waves which are commonly known as thunder and lightning.
4. Highlight the achievement of Guptas in metallurgy.
- The achievement of Guptas in metallurgy was the Mehrauli Iron pillar. King Chandragupta installed it in Delhi.
- This pillar has lasted through the centuries without rusting.
5. Name the three kinds of tax collected during the Harsha’s reign.
II Answer in a paragraph
1. What is flood? Explains the do’s and don’ts during floods.
i) An overflow of a large amount of water, beyond its normal limits, especially on the rainfed areas is called a flood.
ii) During floods – Do’s.
- To find out the settlement area whether it is to be affected by flood or not.
- Keeping radio, torch and additional batteries, storing drinking water, dry foods items, salt and sugar. Safeguarding materials like kerosene, candle, match box, clothes and valuable things.
- Keeping umbrella and bamboo poles.
- Keeping first aid box and strong ropes to bind things.
- To dig canals from the farm land, to drain the excessive water, keeping sand bags etc.
iii) During floods – Don’ts.
- Try to connect electricity once it is cut.
- Operate vehicles.
- Swim against floods.
- Avoid going on excursions.
- Neglect flood warning messages.