Social Science : Civics : Term 3 Unit 1 : Democracy
I. Choose the correct answer:
1. Early man settled near________and practiced agriculture.
- bank of rivers
Ans : bank of rivers
2. The birth place of democracy is ………………..
Ans : Greece
3. ________ is celebrated as the International Democracy Day.
- September 15
- October 15
- November 15
- December 15
Ans : September 15
4. Who has the right to work in a direct Democracy?
- All eligible voters
Ans : All eligible voters
II. Fill in the blanks :
1. Direct Democracy is practiced in ________
Ans : Switzerland
2. The definition of democracy is defined by________
Ans : Abraham Lincoln
3. People choose their representatives by giving their________
Ans : Votes
4. In our country________democracy is in practice.
Ans : Representative
III. Answer the following :
1. What is Democracy?
- The citizens of a country select their representatives through elections.
- Thus they take part in the direct governance of a country. This is termed democracy.
2. What are the types of democracy?
Direct democracy and Representative democracy
3. Define Direct Democracy.
- In a direct democracy, only the citizens can make laws.
- All changes have to be approved by the citizens.
- The politicians only rule over parliamentary procedure. Eg. Switzerland.
4. Define: Representative Democracy
Representative democracy is a type of democracy founded on the principle of elected officials representing a group of people.
5. What are the salient features of our constitution that you have understood?
- Constitution of India guides the Indians in all aspects and maintains law and order.
- It ensures freedom, equality and justice to everyone.
- It defines the political principles, the structure of government, the powers and responsibilities.
- The Constitution fixes the Rights and Duties and Directive Principles of the Citizens.
- It is the longest written constitution in the world.