English : Term 1 Unit 2 : Supplementary : The Apple Tree and the Farmer
A. Read the following statements. Say True or False.
1. The farmer had spent his childhood playing under the tree. True
2. The farmer felt the space could be used to build a house. False
3. The apple tree requested the farmer not to cut it. False
4. All the little animals were happy about the farmer’s decision. False
5. The apple tree was home for all the little animals. True
B. Identify the speaker / character.
1. Please don’t cut the tree.
Farmer’s daughter and her friends.
2. You can enjoy the shade when you become old.
Farmer’s daughter and her friends.
3. I promise that I will never cut this tree.
C. Choose the right option.
1. The animals became worried because
a. there was heavy rain.
b. the farmer began to chop the tree.
c. the farmer chased them away.
d. the tree became old.
Answer: b. the farmer began to chop the tree.
2. The farmer’s daughter and her friends came out because
a. they wanted to play under the tree.
b. they heard the commotion of the creatures.
c. the farmer called them.
d. they heard the farmer’s voice.
Answer: b. they heard the commotion of the creatures.
3. The farmer promised that he would
a. grow more trees.
b. provide shelter to all the little animals.
c. not cut the tree.
d. be thankful to the children.
Answer: c. not cut the tree.
D. Read the passage and answer the following.
All of a sudden, the farmer noticed a small fruit hanging from a branch. It was an apple and looked as delicious as the ones he ate as a boy. He plucked it and bit into the juicy fruit. The memories of the fun he had had as a boy came rushing back. When his daughter saw the changed expression in her father’s face, she started pleading harder.
1. What did the farmer notice?
The farmer noticed a small fruit hanging from a branch.
2. What made him recall his childhood?
When the farmer ate the delicious apple he started recalling the memories of the fun he had as a boy.
3. Why did his daughter start pleading?
The farmer’s daughter started pleading because she wanted him not to cut the tree as the tree was the home to many lovely animals and provided them so many things.
E. Rearrange the jumbled sentences.
1. He did not listen to their cries.
2. The farmer continued cutting the tree.
3. His childhood memories made him realize his mistake.
4. He decided to cut the tree thinking that it was useless.
5. The taste of the apple brought back his childhood memories.
6. The farmer had an old apple tree in his garden.
7. All the little animals in the tree pleaded with him.
8. He spent all his childhood playing under the apple tree.
1. The farmer had an old apple tree in his garden.
2. He spent all his childhood playing under the apple tree.
3. He decided to cut the tree thinking that it was useless.
4. All the little animals in the tree pleaded with him.
5. He did not listen to their cries.
б. The farmer continued cutting the tree.
7. The taste of the apple brought back his childhood memories.
8. His childhood memories made him realize his mistake.
F. Think and answer.
1. Which part of the story do you like? Why?
I liked the way the farmer’s daughter pleaded by seeing the change in expression of her father after eating the apple.
2. If the little animals become homeless what will happen?
If little animals become homeless some of them would search for new tree and some of them would die.
3. What made the farmer realise his mistakes?
The sweetness of the juicy apple fruit made him realize his mistakes. The memories of the fun he had had as a boy came rushing back.
G. Look at the table. Read any story. Then fill the table.
CONNECTING TO SELF
H. Lilly was on a trip to the beach with her friends. Some of her friends carelessly threw plastic bags on the road after eating their snacks. She wants to convince them that what they were doing was not correct and they should be good citizens.
Discuss in your group. What could Lilly say? Role play the conversation with one person being Lilly and the other a friend.
Ravi : Hai Trishna how are you?
Trishna : I am fine.
Ravi : Do you know anything about plastic bags?
Trishna : Ha, I know plastic bags. It is dangerous to environment.
Ravi : Yes you are correct because plastic takes so many years to decompose.
Trishna : The Government is trying to ban plastic.
Ravi : I will also not use plastic bags compulsorily because it is harmful to me and to society.
Trishna : Ok bye
Ravi : Bye
STEPS TO SUCCESS
I. For each item write the word that has the same relationship as the pair on the left.
Example desert : dry :: valley : fertile
1. creeper : tendril :: tree : ?
Answer: b. bough
2. river : flow :: mountain : ?
Answer: b. high
3. breeze : gentle :: storm : ?
Answer: a. violent
4. mango : sweet :: lime : ?
Answer: b. sour
5. bark : timber :: flower : ?
Answer: c. fruit
LEARNING LINKS AND REFERENCES
Screen shot of the Hangman Game
1. Scan the QR code. It will go to a website.
2. You can see a link for the software / application.
3. Click the link to download the software / application.
4. Click next and select the suffix by clicking the drop down arrow.
5. Click the letters to form the word.
Images for the Demo Steps
Download the Software / Application
1. Write down the list of words you learned.