English : Term 2 Unit 1 : Prose : Sports Stars
Put a (√) for the correct and (x) for the incorrect statements.
1. A school-going girl writes the diary account. ×
2. The boy was so inspired by Mithali that he was happy for his sister to play cricket. ☑
3. Mithali Raj is happy to be recognised as Tendulkar of Indian Women’s Cricket. ☑
4. Women should not be compared with men in cricket, says Mithali. ☑
5. Mithali Raj was not encouraged to play cricket by her family members. ×
6. Mithali is one of the women players to score seven consecutive 50s. ☑
7. Mithali’s mother tongue is Telugu. ×
Recognised – Known
Acknowledged – Accepted
Privilege – Honour
Consecutive – One after another
Identity – Who/What a person is or how a person is known
Inspiration – Here, a person one looks up
Passion – Desire
1. Which game does the school boy love?
The school boy loves cricket.
2. What do you know about Mithali Dorai Raj?
Mithali Dorai Raj is an Indian cricketer. She is the captain of the Indian Women’s Cricket team in Tests and One Day Internationals.
3. When did Mithali start to play cricket? When was she selected for the Indian team?
Mithali started to play cricket at the age of 10. She was selected for the Indian team at the age of 17.
4. Where does Mithali live? What is her mother tongue?
Mithali lives in Hyderabad. Her mother tongue is Tamil.
5. What do you know about Mithali as a cricketer?
Mithali was the highest run scorer in Women’s International Cricket. She was the only woman cricketer to surpass the 6,000 run mark in ODIs. She is the first player to score seven consecutive 50s.
6. How is Mithali Dorai Raj nicknamed?
Mithali is nicknamed “Tendulkar of Indian Women’s Cricket”.
7. How does Mithali feel when she is compared to Sachin?
Mithali considers it a great privilege. But she feels that people should know her for her own identity. She should not be compared to a male cricketer.
8. How did the government of India recognize her contribution to cricket?
In recognition of her contribution to cricket, the government of India conferred on her the Padma Shri Award.
9. What is the recent achievement of Mithali?
Mithali Raj along with Smriti Mandhana hit stylish half centuries in the second women’s T20 International on 23of February 2018. Because of her India cruised to a comfortable nine-wicket victory over South Africa.
10. What was the score of Mithali in the second women’s T20 International?
Mithali anchored the innings to perfection with an unbeaten 76.
What do you know about Mithali Dorai Raj as a cricketer?
Mithali started to play cricket at the age of 10. She was selected for the Indian team at the age of 17. Mithali was the highest run scorer in Women’s International Cricket. She was the only woman cricketer to surpass the 6,000 run mark in ODIs. She is the first player to score seven consecutive 50s. Mithali Raj along with Smriti Mandhana hit stylish half centuries in the second women’s T20 International on 23of February 2018. Because of her India cruised to a comfortable nine-wicket victory over South Africa. Mithali anchored the innings to perfection with an unbeaten 76.
Answer the following briefly.
1. When did Usha Rani start playing Kabaddi? From From chool child
As a school child, Usha Rani started playing Kabbadi.
2. What did she sell to support her family? She used to sell flowers
She sold flowers to support her family.
3. Find out the idiom that relates to ‘whatever the circumstances’, from the first paragraph.
‘Armed with her mother’s unfulfilled dream’, is the idiom that related to ‘whatever the circumstances’.
1. What was Usha Rani?
Usha Rani was a cop. She was also a kabaddi champion.
2. What was her mother’s dream? Was it fulfilled?
Her mother’s dream was to become an athlete. The dream was not fulfilled.
3. What did she do when she was not playing?
When she was not playing, she was a support to everyone at home. She sold flowers for her daily living.
4. Where did Usha Rani get a job? Why was she selected?
Usha Rani got a job in the Karnataka State Police Force. She was selected for her excellence in sports.
5. How old was Usha Rani when she won a gold medal in Kabaddi?
Usha Rani was 29 years old when she won a gold medal in kabaddi.
6. What do you know about Usha Rani as a sports person?
Usha Rani is acclaimed for her raiding skills in kabaddi. She is an expert in giving leads and raiding opponents. She plays a prominent role consistently in the Indian kabaddi team.
Write a paragraph about Usha Rani as a sports person.
Usha Rani was a cop. She was also a kabaddi champion. Usha Rani got a job in the Karnataka State Police Force. She was selected for her excellence in sports. She was 29 years old when she won a gold medal in kabaddi. Usha Rani is acclaimed for her raiding skills in Kabaddi. She is an expert in giving leads and raiding opponents. She plays a prominent role consistently in the Indian kabaddi team.
Shanty town /ˈʃænti taʊn / – A poor area
Unfulfilled / ʌnfʊlˈfɪld / – Unrealised
Prominent /ˈprmɪnənt / – Noticeable
Determined /dɪˈtːmɪnd / – Will powered
Identify and write the sport’s name respectively.
4. relay race
Every person who achieves success in life has to work hard with dedication and determination. One can always learn something from another person’s story. No opponent is too big to defeat. So believe in yourself and follow your passion.
Complete the mind map given below.
1. Name two Indian badminton players who won medals in the Olympics.
P.V.Sindhu won a silver medal in 2017 Olympics. Saina Nehwal won a bronze medal in 2012 Olympics.
2. When did Sindhu break into the top of the BWF?
Sindhu broke into the top of the BWF in September 2012 at the age of 17.
3. When did Sindhu start playing badminton?
Sindhu started playing badminton at the age of eight.
4. What do you know about the parents of Sindhu?
The parents of Sindhu were professional volleyball players.
5. Whom did Sindhu draw inspiration from?
Sindhu drew inspiration from Pullela Gopichand the 2001 All England Open Badminton Champion.
6. What incident shows her willingness to become a good badminton player?
Every day Sindhu travelled 56 km from her residence to the coaching camps. She used to report on time. This shows her willingness to be a good badminton player.
7. What is the most striking feature in Sindhu’s game?
The most striking feature in Sindhu’s game is her attitude and the never-say-die spirit.
8. How did Sindhu balance her passion and her academics?
Sindhu attended regular school until class 9. Then she continued her studies through correspondence and got a B.Com degree. Thus she balanced her passion and her academics.
9. What were the awards conferred on Sindhu by the Indian government?
The Indian government conferred on Sindhu the following awards (i) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award (2016) (ii) Padma Shri award (2015) (iii) Arjuna Award (2013).
What do you know about P.V.Sindhu as an outstanding player?
Sindhu started playing badminton at the age of eight. She drew inspiration from Pullela Gopichand the 2001 All England Open Badminton Champion. Sindhu broke into the top of the BWF in September 2012 at the age of 17. Every day Sindhu travelled 56 km from her residence to reach the coaching camps on time. This shows her willingness to be a good badminton player. The most striking feature in Sindhu’s game is her attitude and the never-say-die spirit. The Indian government conferred on Sindhu the following awards (i) Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award (2016) (ii) Padma Shri award (2015) (iii) Arjuna Award (2013).
Correspondent – Reporter
Commitment /kəˈmɪtmənt/ – Dedication
Never-say-die /ˈnevə-seɪ-taɪ/ – Don’t stop trying
Civilian / səˈvɪljən/ – Ordinary people
READ AND UNDERSTAND
I. Identify the sports and the sports personalities from the lesson and fill in the table.
II. Read the questions related to the three sports stars you have read about and tick the appropriate boxes.
1. Who won the Olympic 2017 silver medal in badminton?
2. Who is the role model for her siblings?
3. Whose mother tongue is Tamil?
4. Whose attitude is ‘never-say-die spirit’?
5. Which player works in the Police Department?
6. Which player holds the record for the highest individual score in cricket?
III. Think and answer.
1. Women/ Men can achieve anything, provided they put their heart and soul into it. Discuss in the class. Do you think being a man or a woman makes a difference?
We can achieve anything provided we have interest and dedication in it. Whatever we do, we should put our heart and soul into it. Being a man or woman does not make any difference. It does not become an obstacle for our achievement.
2. How can you balance your academic goals and your passion for sports or arts?
We should allot time for our academics and our aspiration. One should not interfere with the other. By balancing our studies and skills we can accomplish what we aspire for.
A. Match the sport and the equipment.
eg. Cricket – Bat
1. Football – Bow and Arrow
2. Tennis – Club
3. Volleyball – Racquets
4. Archery – Helmet
Answer : 1) Helmet 2) Racquets 3) Club 4) Net 5) Bow and Arrow
B. Find the names of twelve sports and games from the grid.
Answer: 1) KABADDI 2) TENNIS 3) CHESS 4) GOLF 5) SUMO 6) KITE FLYING 7) CARROM 8) HOCKEY 9) RELAY 10) SWIMMING 11) ICE SKATING 12) TABLE TENNIS
C. Tick the meaning of the italicised word.
1. Being compared to Sachin is an absolute privilege.
2. The boy was taken by surprise when he learnt about Mithali Dorai Raj.
3. Usha Rani had to struggle all through her life.
d. Work hard
4. Usha Rani is expert at giving leads.
5. No opponent is too big to defeat.
D. Fill in the blanks with the opposites of the words given in brackets.
1. We should learn from our failure (success).
2. Children don’t like to read uninteresting (interesting) books.
3. Be specific (general) when you are telling us what you need.
4. The teacher asked the children to stop (start) talking.
5. The new boss decided to dismiss (appoint) the lazy workers.
E. Listen to your teacher and number the pictures accordingly.
1. White water rafting
The icy Himalayan heights are the source of a major chunk of India’s rivers. The complex network of rivers flowing through valleys and forests are just perfect for adventure sport like the white water rafting. Among the other regions in the country, the Garhwal and Kumaon region in Uttarakhand is regarded as the best location for a perfect water adventure. The most suitable period for this watery performance is between September-November and March- May.
Paragliding has a huge following all over the world and is the recreational and competitive adventure sport. It is a relatively new sport in India. The major paragliding sites in India are Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Rajasthan and Maharashtra. The flying season spans September to December and then March to June.
Skiing is a big craze worldwide. Gulmarg in Kashmir offers one of the largest facilities for this winter sport. The best part is that the snow conditions remain excellent from December to April. Meanwhile, the slopes in Garhwal and Kumaon are also ideal place for skiing in the winter months. Auli in Garhwal is currently rated as one of India’s best skiing resort.
4. Snorkeling and scuba diving
While the sky and the mountains provide you with a good amount of adventure, the underwater ecosystems promise a stunning world of mysterious beauty exhibited in its marine flora and fauna. The areas around the Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands as well as Bay of Bengal present water sport lovers’ opportunities to delve and dive deep inside the ocean’s depths and enjoy the marvellous sights they have to offer.
Write ‘ T’ if the statement is True and ‘ F’ if the statement is False.
1. Himachal Pradesh is an ideal place for paragliding. True
2. Skiing offers opportunities to delve into oceans. False
3. Paragliding is also a recreational adventure sport. True
4. Scuba Diving has a huge following all over the world. False
5. The most suitable period for Skiing is from March to June. False
F. Look at these images of different kinds of sports. Identify and name as many as you can with your partner.
Describe any one of them to your partner.
* Name of the sport.
* What equipment is used to play the sport?
* What kind of area/ground/field it is played in?
* How is it played?
Present your sport to the class in four to five sentences.
These phrases will help you.
* I like to play badminton.
* I play badminton regularly with my friends.
* Badminton is an
indoor / outdoor game.
* Badminton game requires four players.
* Badminton has bat and racket these equipments.
* Badminton is generally played in a court/
* I enjoy playing badminton game.
An adjective is a word that describes a noun.
G. Look at the picture and fill in the blanks with suitable words.
1. There is a big ground in my school.
2.The starry sky looks beautiful at night.
3. The tray has many vegetables.
4. It is a hot day.
5. The girl gave her friend a sweet smile.
H. Put the words in correct order and rewrite each sentence.
1. They have a post-box. (Red, Small, Rectangular)
They have a rectangular small red post-box.
2. I have sticks. (Long, Two, Brown)
I have two long brown sticks.
3. Find me the brushes. (New, Five, Yellow)
Find me five new yellow brushes.
4. Mahesh is a boy. (Thin, Tall, Clever)
Mahesh is a clever tall thin boy.
5. It is a plate. (Round, Pink, Small)
It is a small round pink plate.
I. Refer to a dictionary for the meanings and circle the odd one.
1. Tiny – Small, (Enormous), Little, Puny.
2. Ample – Great, Plentiful, Generous, (Restricted).
3. Kind – (Harsh), Concerned, Charitable, Gentle.
4. Honest – Reliable, Trusty, Sincere, (Deceitful.)
5. Cheerful – Bright, (Low,) Gay, Contented.
J. Imagine that you are the School Pupil Leader. Write a formal letter inviting the chief guest for the school’s Annual Day. Give details of the time and place of the event.
February 15, 2018
Name of the Chief Guest
I am writing this letter on behalf ___ ___ of school. Our school is going to conduct its Annual Day on 20th of February. In this connection, we cordially invite you to our 23rd Annual Day to be the cheif guest and address the gathering. We are sure the students will benefit from your ideas and words. We will be privileged to have you in our school on this special day.
We look forward to receiving your acceptance.
School Pupil Leader
Imagine that you are the sports captain of your school. Write a formal letter to the sports captain of another school inviting her/ his team for a friendly match. You may choose any sport. Give details of time and place.
( Note: Follow the format of the letter given above.)
Vivekananda High School,
S.S.Colony, Madurai – 16.
February 15, 2018
Tallakulam, Madurai – 2.
I am writing this letter on behalf of Vivekananda High School, Sports Team, Madurai. Our school is going to conduct a friendly match in football on 20th February. In this connection, we cordially invite your team to play a friendly match at 4 p.m. on 20th February in our school grounds. We are sure the players of both the teams will be happy to play the friendly match. Kindly get permission from your school Headmaster and Physical Education Teacher and participate in the friendly match.
We look forward to receiving your acceptance.
K. Make a diary entry on the impact of a sports personality who is an inspiration to you.
* Date your entry.
* Write naturally and truthfully.
* Use first person. (I read about Mithali, I like her playing style, etc.,)
* Make your entry informal and expressive.
* Use words that express feelings and write what you feel about it.
LANGUAGE CHECK POINT
× Kovai is further from Chennai than Trichy.
× Kovai is farther from Chennai than Trichy.
× Further means ‘additional’. Farther is used to talk about distance.
✔ Sheeba is more stronger than Sinduja.
✔ Sheeba is stronger than Sinduja.
✔ Avoid double comparatives. Adjectives of one syllable usually form their comparatives by adding -er to the positive. Adjectives with more than two syllables take ‘ more’.
? My elder sister is six feet high.
? My elder sister is six feet tall.