English : Term 1 Unit 3 : Supplementary : Spices of India
A. Answer the following questions.
1. Why do we add spices to food?
Spices are added to our food to balance nutrition and to keep us healthy.
2. Which spices are used a lot in Indian food?
Cumin, mustard, peppers, cloves, fennel, cinnamon and turmeric are used a lot in Indian food.
3. Which parts of a plant are collected as spices?
Flowers, leaves, roots, bark, seeds and bulbs are the parts of plant which are collected as spices.
4. What are the uses of spices?
When cooked with rice, meat, fish or vegetables, the spices give the dish a special savoury taste. It makes us want to eat more.
5. What happened after Columbus discovered America?
Columbus found out chilli after discovering America.
B. Choose the best option.
1. People say curry comes from a Tamil word ‘kari’ which means ___________________.
Answer : c) Sambar
2. Pepper is also known as ___________________.
a) liquid gold
b) black gold
c) white gold
Answer: b) black gold
3. ___________________ wrote about cinnamon in 2700 BCE.
Answer: c) Japanese
4. The Greeks, Romans and Egyptians all bought cinnamon from _______________.
b) South America
Answer: c) India
C. Compare the travel maps of Vasco da Gama and Columbus.
Fill in the table with the prompts. Frame sentences with the help of the table.
1. Vasco da Gama started from Portugal in the year 1497-1499 reached Calicut in Kerala-India and found black pepper.
2. Christopher Columbus started from Portugal in the year 1492-1504 reached South America and found chilli.
CONNECTING TO SELF
Look at the pictures and read the given information.
D. Look at the table carefully. Then complete the points below.
1. The paddy plants are given manure after 35 days.
2. The plants take 30 days in ripening phase.
3. It takes 10 days to harvest the rice.
4. The rice grains have to be dried and then stored.
5. We plant the grain for 35-90 days before boiling.
E. Talk in groups. Then share your thoughts with the class.
* Do you usually eat all the food served to you? If not, what are the reasons? When you eat lunch at school, which are the dishes you don’t eat or waste?
* Why do you avoid certain food items?
* Can you think of ways to reduce the amount of food wasted in your school?
* Have you seen or known anyone in need of food? Have you helped them? How?
* Take a pledge in your group not to waste food.
STEPS TO SUCCESS
1. Four of the following five are alike in certain ways and so form a group. Which is the one that does not belong to that group?
Answer: e) Corn
2. In a certain code language if KBOVBSZ is the code word for JANUARY, what is the code word for OCTOBER?
Answer: b) PDUPCFS
LEARNING LINKS AND REFERENCES
Experience the life of spices by playing the game.
Screen shot of the spices game
1. Scan the QR code. It will go to a website.
2. You can see a link for the software / application.
3. Click the link to download the software / application.
4. Open the game and you can move the spices by using the pointers.
5. Like this you can find more games on spices locate the appropriate one and use it.
Steps to install the game
Step – 1
Type the word, ‘spices’ in the search bar of the Android play store
Step – 2
Install the game and start to play it using the pointers
Step – 3
You can install similar such applications from play store
Share your views about the spices with your friend after playing this spices game.