English : Term 2 Unit 2 : Supplementary : Gulliver’s Travels
Read and Understand
A. Read the following statements. Say True or False.
1. Gulliver was the captain of the ship. False
2. One of the Lilliputians gave a ten minutes talk in Gulliver’s language. False
3. Gulliver took the small creatures in his hand and crushed them. False
4. The horses were four and a half inches tall. True
5. The war between the two kingdoms ended in peace. True
B. Identify the speaker / character.
1. He felt something moving along his body almost up to his chin. Gulliver
2. They somehow managed to put him on the platform. Lilliputians
3. “Don’t let us down now, Gulliver; we need your help.” Emperor of Lilliput
C. Choose the right option.
1. Gulliver managed to reach the land as he was _________.
a. A doctor.
b. One of the crews.
c. A swimmer.
d. the captain.
2. Gulliver was set free because the emperor __________.
a. was afraid of him.
b. confirmed that he was not harmful
c. was a kind hearted person.
d. wanted to get something from him.
3. Gulliver was hailed as a hero because he ____________.
a. made the army of Blefuscu giddy.
b. fought with the army of Blefuscu.
c. drowned the army of Blefuscu in the water.
d. defeated the emperor of Blefuscu.
Answer: 1) a swimmer 2) confirmed that he was not harmful 3) made the army of Blefuscu giddy
D. Discuss in groups. Retell the story in your own words. Each one should say one sentence.
You can begin like this:
Gulliver was travelling in a ship. One stormy night, the ship was wrecked…
E. Think and answer.
1. How did Gulliver overcome the adversity?
The ship Gulliver was travelling in hit a rock and broke up completely. Gulliver with some of the crew got into a boat and rowed it. Soon the boat overturned. Being a good swimmer, Gulliver managed to swim and reached the land.
2. How should one react to adversity?
When we meet with an adverse condition we should not lose hope. We should put up a bold face and confront it. If we fight with hope and optimism we can overcome the adversity.
3. Describe Gulliver’s encounter with the army of Blefuscu.
Gulliver tied the ships of Blefuscu army with a long rope. He pulled the ships round and round the whole day. The army of Blefuscu became giddy. They were unable to fight. The king of Blefuscu came down for peace talks.
1. How did Gulliver happen to reach Lilliput?
Gulliver was on a long voyage. The ship he was travelling in hit a rock and broke up. At once Gulliver got into a small boat with some of the crew members. All of a sudden the boat overturned. Gulliver was a good swimmer. So he managed to swim and reached the land.
2. What did the Lilliputians do to Gulliver.
The Lilliputians tied Gulliver’s arms and legs with slender strings. They attached the strings to pegs fixed on the ground. They tied down Gulliver’s hair. When Gulliver tried to free himself the Lilliputians shot arrows at him. At last they put Gulliver on a platform and dragged him to the city.
3. Describe Gulliver’s experience at the Emperor’s palace.
The Emperor came to receive Gulliver. Gulliver was lodged in an old temple. His leg was chained. After a few weeks the Lilliputians realised that Gulliver meant no harm to them. So they set him free. Gulliver was provided with food and water. A house was built for him.
F. Look at the traffic signals and write down the traffic rule against each signal.
CONNECTING TO SELF
G. Look at these pictures. Think of how you must behave when you visit these places. Discuss with your partner and complete the table.
Use dust bins : Do not throw rubbish in public places
Avoid plastic bags. : Do not pluck the flowers
Avoid writing on the wall : Swimming is prohibited here
Walk off the grass : Do not throw away the eatables
Drinking liquor is banned : Do not scribble on trees and walls
Avoid fireworks or explosives : Do not touch antique things
STEPS TO SUCCESS
H. What is the logical sequence for these words? Tick the right option.
e.g. 1. Leaves 2. Fruit 3.Seed 4.Flowers 5. root
1. 1. Drive 2. Get in 3. Arrive 4. Park 5. Open door
2. 1.Travel 2.Book 3.Plan 4. Confirm 5. Enjoy
3. 1.Rest 2.Return 3.Supper 4.Go out 5.Visit
4. 1. Check out 2. Pack 3. Pay bill 4. Vacate 5. Drive
5. 1. Wait 2. Slow 3. Go 4. Stop 5. Get ready
Answer : 1) b 2) a 3) c 4) d 5) a
LEARNING LINKS AND REFERENCES
Primer on Forest Biodiversity – P.S. Ramakrishnan
Back to Nature – B.K. Trehan
Forests and Forestry – K.P. Sagreiya
Scan the QR code and install the game from Android play store.
Step– 2 :
Click auto play to start the game.
Click on the interactive objects in each scene and have fun.
Proceed to read it myself and read to me
Steps to install the game from play store :
* Observe and write a description of each scene and present it to your class.
1.To learn vocabulary.
2. To develop reading skill.